Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Highlights of the Montana Legislative Session, Part 1


My favorite bill was heard earlier this week in the Senate Public Health, Welfare and Safety Committee. During the hearing Senator Don Ryan shared his horror story with the committee:

"I went in, took care of things, went out, and I washed my hands, and that was just fine," he said. "There was soap there. And when I was done washing my hands, I turned to look, and there were no paper towels."

I would just like to point out that people in Montana seem to more environmentally conscious and should be in favor of and advocating for the air hand dryers instead of paper towels. And the air hand dryers have a duel role. For example, when you spill say a very large margarita in your lap you can dry your pants and your hands at the same time.

One more sweet session update thanks to the ladies at the Red Basement:

Apparently Republican lawmakers are not on the up and up when it comes to being politically correct. But hey don't blame Rep. Ed Butcher, R-Winifred the comments were made "before the committee meeting had formally convened." So racism only counts if the committees are in session--good to know. But still it isn't his fault:

Butcher said he has an extra-large gavel and turned to Rep. Jonathan Windy Boy, D-Rocky Boy, a member of the committee, and asked him if the gavel could be a “war club.”

Then, shortly before the meeting was to start, but while Windy Boy was not present, Butcher said the meeting couldn’t begin because he was waiting on “Chief Windy Boy.”

“There sure as hell wasn’t anything negative about (the comment)” Butcher said, adding that he’d always considered Windy Boy one of the “sharpest” American Indian lawmakers in the House.

Butcher said if he intended to say something disparaging about American Indians, “I would have come up with something (worse) than that.”


because if it was his fault he would have pulled out the big guns and offended everyone. Cheers Montucky Cheers.

No comments: